EMPOWERING THE FUTURE GENERATIONMost of the business of SCLC/W.O.M.E.N., Inc. is handled through the various task forces.
The standing initiatives are:
- Enrichment for Children and Youth
- Voter Empowerment
- Seniors Task Force
- Health and Welfare
- Political Action
- Global Outreach
SAVE THE DATE
40th Anniversary of the SCLC/W.O.M.E.N., Inc. Senior Christmas Luncheon
December 3, 2019
- An estimated 1.1 million people in the United States are living with HIV, and about 15% of those don’t know they are infected.
- Of the U.S. population living with HIV, almost half are virally suppressed.
- There were 39,782 new HIV diagnoses in 2016.
- In 2016, Southern states accounted for more than half of new HIV diagnoses in the U.S., despite making up just 38% of the overall U.S. population.
- African Americans accounted for 44% of HIV diagnoses in 2016, although they comprise only 12% of the population.
- In 2016, 18,160 people were diagnosed with AIDS. There were 6,721 AIDS-related deaths in 2014.
SCLC/W.O.M.E.N., INC. was founded by Mrs. Evelyn Gibson Lowery in 1979 and is primarily a volunteer organization addressing issues of social action, community and economic development. The organization also engages in activities promoting heritage pride, legislative affairs, and programs to strengthen families, and advocacy for economic justice and peace issues.
The concern of SCLC/W.O.M.E.N., INC. emphasizes women’s issues, children’s needs, and enrichment, heritage pride, political awareness, health and welfare, education, and participation in international affairs.
- The Southern Christian Leadership Conference SCLC Women Inc., will host an evening of celebration at its annual Drum Major for Justice Awards Gala on Saturday, April 4, with a reception and silent auction at 6 p.m. and awards dinner at 7 p.m. “Honoring Our Past Present and Future” is the theme of the 41st annual...April 4, 2020
- Remembering the Past… In the remembrance of those who sacrificed and gave their lives to the movement, Mrs. Evelyn G. Lowery and SCLC/W.O.M.E.N, Inc. has constructed thirteen memorials in their honor. The two-day Evelyn G. Lowery Civil Rights Heritage Educational Tour traces the steps of the Civil Rights Movement throughout Alabama. The tour originates from...February 29, 2020
- The 40th Anniversary Senior Christmas Luncheon will be held December 3, 2019. This annual Christmas Luncheon serving the elderly has grown to become one of the SCLC WOMEN, Inc’s, most heart felt events. Celebrating the lives of our community elders through fun, fellowship and mouth watering food, more than bodies are filled, hearts are lifted....December 3, 2019
- An annual program created in 2005 designed to restore and to cultivate the soul, the mind, the spirit and the body of female victims of domestic violence. On average 60 ladies are provided a day of comfort and of care sponsored by a local salon and spa. The event includes participation of powerful women mentors/leaders who are survivors and/or in...October 7, 2019